Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Macaroni and Cheese

I had dinner tonight with my lovely friend Renee from high school, and decided to bring some mac and cheese over (she made an AMAZING bbq chicken!). I had never made mac and cheese by myself (only with my mom...who literally makes the best homemade mac and cheese, ever!). I knew to make the beschamel, and then add the cheese, and add it to the noodles...but I was really sure of the details....so I just winged it! It was so wonderful! I would use different noodles next time (better macaroni or egg noddles). I'm looking forward to adding different cheese (mac and cheese with triple cream brie? or gruyere? I think so!) So...here it goes!




















Ingredients:

3 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
1 1/2 c. heated skim milk
1 tsp. + 1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 tbsp. salt
1 c. + 1/4 c. sharp cheddar, shredded
2 boxes of mac and cheese, discard packet, and cook noodles to al dente
1 egg
1/4 c. Parmesean
Spray butter

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 F. Melt butter in a sauce pan, adding olive oil when melter. Whisk in flour, and then whisk in heated skim milk. Stir in paprika, mustard, and salt. Remove from heat. Add both cheddar and Parmesean. Set aside.

Place al dente noodles in a square baking dish. Make sure that they have come to room temperature. Whisk and egg and combine into noodles. Pour cheese sauce into dish, and combine. Spray top of dish with butter, and cover with paprika. Bake for 15 minutes, then cover with shredded cheese. And then please enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment